Excellent doctors but homophobic

Hello QueerGasm,
There are so many excellent doctors in NYC (and I am sure there are even many more in San Francisco) and yet not very many of them are queer-friendly and, yes, there are still many who get disgusted when their patients revealed their homosexual lifestyle to them. In their fucking heads, gay men are HIV carriers. I’ve seen it all. I accompanied a dear friend to see his doctor recently. I was shocked. I saw the facial expression and attitude of the doctor as soon as my friend told him he had two hook-ups (sexual intercourse) with married men and a few other single gay men in the last four weeks. After the visit, my friend and I felt very lousy the whole day. I told him to change his doctor. We queers should only go to physicians whom we are comfortable with discussing our lifestyle and health issues with. We shouldn't be seeing doctors who have no comfort level discussing such issues with us. This is not a choice. There is a growing # of very young gay men living in New York City as there are so many moving to San Francisco or other queer-friendly cities in this country to find a comfortable life -- to find a partner, lover, husband, happiness...and love. And many of them need doctors to depend on. Homophobic doctors are the real disease. They have no place in our lives. HIV is so yesterday, Homophobe doctors, like cancer, is deadly.

James H. Brown, New York City

QueerGam: You must maintain a good relationship with your doctor/s no matter where you live. There is no other way. I told my doctor the truth (nothing but the truth) from day one. I didn't tell him the exact # of men I've played with because I couldn't. It is like take it or leave it. And I continue to always tell my doctor the truth eventho at times he couldn't be bothered to know the truth. The truth is wild enough, and he thinks I am a wild one. But he does his job well. Am I lucky?