From www.afterelton.com on LOGOonline.com

Best. Gay. Week. Ever. (January 25, 2008)
by Michael Jensen, Editor
January 25, 2008

NOW IT'S LIKE BOTH JACK AND ENNIS DIED. I know this is normally a humor column and I promise it won't be all about Heath, but like a lot of folks, I still haven't stopped pondering Heath's tragic death. Obviously the true tragedy lay with those who loved and knew him best — his family and friends. But for millions of gay men, Heath's death hit surprisingly close to home. TVGuide.com's Michael Ausiello writes about his reaction upon watching Brokeback Mountain the night Heath died and on Thursday I went on Michelangelo Signorile's radio show to discuss the news which has been a hot topic of conversation there.

And I already said most of what I had to say about why Heath's death hit me like a body blow, but then it occurred to me I was still missing something. Even though I am nothing like Jack and Ennis, having been born into very different circumstances, I strongly identified with those characters. And when Jack died, it hurt so much it was a physical pain. And seeing Ennis mourning Jack at the film's end managed to be even more devastating. So even though it makes no sense, Heath's death makes me feel like Ennis died as well, and a movie that was already nearly unbearable to watch feels like it will be downright impossible.

Comments